Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Magister Robin


I wish to pay respects to Robin Skelton...

I lived in Victoria, B.C., for quite a stretch before Magister Robin passed over into Witchdom. (I suspect "Magister" is not a term he would have used for himself, but I will use it just the same for any male Witch I hold in high regard.) He left his body eight years ago on August 22. Come this August 22nd I shall light a candle for him. I regret that I never met him...he was a champion of the arts, a prolific writer, a brilliant poet, an inspiring and attentive professor, and a powerful Witch...perhaps Canada's only well-known one, at that.

While I never did meet him in life. I did have the good fortune of partaking of some of his essence when I was initiated into the "Skelton lineage". My initiator had himself been initiated by Magister Robin, and knowing that I was a practising Witch without formal outside initiation, he was happy to initiate me without the usual required training time of a year and a day. Following this I initiated my wife.

I highly recommend his writings on Witchcraft, Spellcraft, and Talismans. His poetry is marvelous "reading aloud" material--particularly "Words for Witches" which can be found in one of his latest publications, One Leaf Shaking.

Hail and Blessed Be, Magister Robin!

links:
http://ring.uvic.ca/97sep05/skelton.html
http://www.canadapagan.com/CanInfo/articles/poetry.htm

ps. I highly recommend checking out his daughter's web site: http://www.alisonskelton.com/index.htm

1 comment:

Jordan Stratford+ said...

Robin brought me into The Witchcraft in the mid-80s, he is dearly missed. I found your blog after doing a google search for him (I said a prayer for him and his wife and son last night for Samhain).

You may enjoy a fairly controversial post of mine:
http://egina.blogspot.com/2005/02/are-witches-gnostic.html

Your blog is promising, but infrequent. Please consider this encouragement to keep at it.

The Other Straight Male Witch in Victoria,

Jordan+